was part of
Tailgating Recipe Touchdown Challenge
which ended Sep 13, 2011 12:00 PM.
See winners »
Corny BBQ Squares Recipe
I thought the combination of cornbread and a savory cheese mixture would be just right for a tailgate or anytime.
- Cornbread: ( 8x8 or 9x9) Favorite recipe, purchased OR
- 1/1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup + 2 TBSP. yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 1 XLG egg ( or 1 Lg. + 1 yolk)
- 1/ 1/3 cup milk
- 5 TBSP. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 TBSP. bacon fat (optional) melted
- Filling: 12 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Lg. eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup KC MASTERPIECE BBQ Sauce - your favorite flavor - I used Original
- 4 - 6 oz. grated Monterrey Jack Cheese (or a combo of Jack and sharp Cheddar), divided
- 2-3 TBSP. seeded tomato, diced
- 1-2 TBSP. chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 TBSP. diced red onion
- 2-3 TBSP. hot (or mild) diced green chiles (drained)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp. chile powder
- Topping: 1 - 1 1/2 cup crumbled corn bread
- 2-4 oz. grated jack or cheddar cheese
- Cornbread: Heat oven to 350.
In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl combine all the wet ingredients and mix well. Pour the wet into the dry and gently mix until there are no lumps. Pour into a greased 8×9 or 9×9 pan and bake for 45 minutes.
Cool. (This step can be done 2 days ahead – wrap well to keep fresh).
Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment or spray with a cooking spray. Slice the corn bread in half to make 2 equal layers, Fit them into your baking dish brown side down to form your crust. Reserve the extra cornbread for topping.
- Filling: Oven 350
In a mixer beat the cream cheese until light. Add the 2 eggs 1 at a time and incorporate well. Add the KC MASTERPIECE BBQ Sauce, garlic salt, cumin, chile powder. Mix until blended. Remove and clean beaters. Fold in the 2 oz. grated cheese, tomato, cilantro and red onion. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the corn bread crust and bake 45-50 minutes.
- Topping: Mix the 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cornbread crumbs with the 2-4 oz. of grated cheese. Remove the baking dish about 8 minutes before they are finished. Sprinkle the cheesy crumbs evenly over the top. Return to the oven to finish baking.
Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (it is better overnight). Cut into 12 squares or 24 triangles. Serve alone or with your favorite salsa or pico.
Thia could be used as a main course if served with a salad.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.