Grilled Jam and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Grilled bread has a crunch and buttery flavor that plain toast just can’t deliver. Here, our sweet approach to grilled cheese features fruity jam and melty cream cheese, for a hot breakfast sandwich that takes as little time to make as waiting in line for a bagel.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easy Hot Breakfasts in 15 Minutes.
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick, 3-1/2-by-3-1/2-inch-long) slices white sandwich bread
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick), at room temperature
- Place the bread slices on a work surface. Equally divide and spread the cream cheese on 2 of the bread slices. Equally divide and spread the strawberry jam on the remaining 2 bread slices. Close the sandwiches so that each sandwich has cream cheese and jam; set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Meanwhile, evenly divide and spread the remaining tablespoon of butter on the tops of the sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan butter-side up. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip the sandwiches and cook until the other sides are golden brown and the filling is warmed through, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to plates and serve.