English Muffin with Bruléed Banana and Peanut Butter Recipe
This is a quick, grown-up twist on the classic peanut butter and banana sandwich. Here, we make it open-faced, and we sprinkle the bananas with a little sugar, then broil them to get a crunchy, sweet topping. The protein-packed peanut butter will help fill you up, for a fast and satisfying breakfast.
What to buy: You don’t have to use peanut butter here; you can use any nut butter you like, such as almond or cashew. If you use an unsalted variety, consider sprinkling a pinch of salt on the nut butter before layering the bananas, to bring out the flavor of the nuts.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easy Hot Breakfasts in 15 Minutes.
- 1 English muffin
- 1 small banana
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter (no added sugar)
- 2 teaspoons packed light or dark brown sugar
- Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the highest position. Meanwhile, split the English muffin and slice the banana into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- Place the muffin halves directly on the oven rack (the broiler doesn’t need to be completely hot yet). Broil, flipping once, until toasted, about 5 minutes total.
- Remove the muffin halves to a work surface. Divide the nut butter between the halves and spread it into an even layer, making sure to spread it all the way to the edges. Evenly shingle the banana slices on the muffin halves and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Place the muffins on a baking sheet and broil until the sugar is browned and caramelized, about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.