was part of
Tailgating Recipe Touchdown Challenge
which ended Sep 13, 2011 12:00 PM.
See winners »
Haitian Griot Recipe
Scrumptious, twice cooked pork bites with a hint of chilli
- 3lbs of pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice or sour orange(if you can find them)
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 2 good sized shallots, chopped
- 2 long green peppers(Anaheim or Serrano), chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Garnish: Thinly sliced green pepper and raw onion rings
- Mix together in a bowl the pork, grapefruit juice, onions, shallots, green peppers and salt. Pour mixture into a ziplock bag and massage. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour the pork mixture into a large pot and simmer at a very low flame for 1 1/2 hours. No need to add water. When the pork is cooked, drain and rinse in a colander, being sure to remove the bits and pieces of onion, pepper, etc. Allow the rinsed pork to dry on a cutting board for about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or black skillet and fry pork to a golden brown. Garnish with sliced green pepper and onion rings.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.