Summer Hoedown Recipe
It’s hard to resist buying those giant iconic summer watermelons, but it’s even harder to actually finish them. This cocktail was designed to use up your melon leftovers. Instead of chucking them in the compost, purée them with a touch of cherry liqueur and top it with some beer for a refreshing drink that screams summer.
What to buy: Maraschino liqueur is a relatively dry liqueur with a subtle bitter-almond flavor; it can be found at any well-stocked liquor store.
This drink was featured as part of our slideshow of beer cocktail recipes.
- 1 (6-pound) seedless watermelon, rind removed and cut into large dice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 4 (12-ounce) bottles white beer, such as Hoegaarden, chilled
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl; set aside.
- Place half of the watermelon in a blender and blend until liquified, about 1 minute. Pour through the strainer into the bowl and scrape a rubber spatula against the inside surface of the strainer to push the juice through until only pulp remains. Discard the pulp and set the strainer back over the bowl. Repeat with the remaining watermelon. (You should have about 6 cups of juice.) Add the sugar to the juice and stir until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 1/2 hours, or until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, transfer the chilled juice to a 3-quart container. Add the maraschino liqueur and beer and stir gently to combine.