Grilled Summer Squash with Feta and Mint Recipe
The best part about grilling is the ease with which a dish comes together. Just slap some grub over the coals and let the smoke and char do all the work—that was the idea behind this squash recipe. In the time it takes to heat up the grill for a rib-eye or a Middle Eastern Lamb Kebab, this side dish can be prepped and ready to serve with it.
What to buy: You can use any type of summer squash in this recipe, such as zucchini, crookneck, or pattypan. The color assortment makes for a more attractive dish, but be sure to cut the squash into similar sizes to ensure an even cooking time.
This recipe was featured as part of our Fast and Easy Grilled Vegetable Sides.
- 3 pounds assorted summer squash, washed and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Place 1 squash on a cutting board and make a diagonal cut about 1 1/2 inches from one end.
Roll the squash a half turn and make another diagonal cut (in the same direction as the first cut) about 1 1/2 inches from the cut end of the squash.
Repeat with the rolling and cutting until you reach the end of the squash. (This is called a roll cut; watch this CHOW video for more tips.)
Repeat with the remaining squash, place in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Place the lemon juice in a medium bowl and whisk in the olive oil in a slow stream until combined. Season with salt and pepper, then add half of the dressing to the bowl of squash, season generously with salt and pepper again, toss to combine, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high (about 450°F to 550°F).
- When the grill is ready, use a slotted spoon to place the squash on the grill. Reserve the large bowl and any remaining dressing in it. Cook the squash uncovered, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and crisp-tender, about 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Return the grilled squash to the large bowl, add the remaining half of the dressing, and toss until evenly coated. Let the squash cool until just warm or room temperature, about 15 minutes. Add the feta and mint and stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.