The first question we typically get from new Caja China / Cajun Microwave owners before their first pig roast is, “Does it come with instructions?” Our goal here is to provide a step-by-step guide that will make you look like a La Caja China style grill master from the start.| by shoplatintouch
- 1The first step is to place the hog ribs up between the two interior racks and secure with the “s” hooks.
- 2Place the charcoal / ash pan on top to enclose the box, and the charcoal grid above it.
- 3Then add 15-18 lbs. of charcoal onto the top grid of your pig roaster and ignite. Allow about 20 minutes for the coals to grey evenly before spreading them across the entire surface of your roast box.
- 4At this point you will begin timing the cooking process, allowing an hour before removing the ash by lifting and sifting the charcoal grid, then emptying the ash from the pan.
- 5Now you are ready to add 10 lbs. of fresh charcoal to your Caja China grill. Allow another hour and follow the same procedure to remove the ash and add new charcoal.
- 6After the third hour, it is time to flip the pig! Grip the ends of the top rack and carefully flip the pig so that the skin side is up.
- 7Replace the charcoal / ash pan and grid and add 10 lbs. of fresh charcoal to your Caja China / Cajun Microwave. This time you should only need about 45 minutes to crisp the skin.
- 8A good idea is to score the skin to allow some of the juices to be rendered from the fat during cooking. Once the skin has reached a bronze tone, you are done!
- 9If you have a meat thermometer, check the temperature of the meat. The desired temperature for cooking to be complete is about 180 degrees.
- 10One of the greatest attributes of “La Caja Asadora” (Spanish for “The Roasting Box“) is its ability to function like a huge pressure cooker, and complete a whole pig roast in just 4 hours!
- 11Visit http://www.shoplatintouch.com for Caja China Roasting Box grills and accessories, including absolutely mouth-watering cookbooks and marinades.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.