was part of
The Great Beer Recipe Challenge
which ended Aug 19, 2011 03:00 PM.
See winners »
Harvest Moon Risotto (with a summertime variation) Recipe
The pumpkin and spice in Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale make this a perfect autumm risotto. But this can be easily transformed into summer fare by switching three ingredients.
- One 2 lb Pumpkin (or butternut squash) (to net about 1 lb after seeding and skinning)
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ c arborio rice
- 1 12 oz bottle Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale
- 4 - 6 c low salt chicken broth
- Pinch of dried marjoram
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¾ c finely grated parmesan reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel and seed pumpkin, cut into 1/2” dice. In baking pan, toss diced pumpkin with 1 Tbsp olive oil, fresh ground pepper and a pinch of kosher salt. Roast until fork penetrates easily, but texture remains firm, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- While squash is cooking, remove sausage from casings and saute, breaking into pieces as it cooks. Add a small amount of olive oil if necessary. Saute until cooked through, and set aside.
- Heat chicken broth in saucepan. While broth is heating, saute onion in 1 – 2 Tbsp olive oil until slightly softened. Add garlic and continue sauteing until onion is translucent. Add arborio rice and continue stirring 1 – 2 minutes until rice is fully coated with oil.
- Add Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale to rice ½ cup at a time, and allow to absorb while gently stirring. When absorbed, add one ladle of broth, orange zest, and marjoram to rice, stirring while rice absorbs broth. Keeping broth at a steady simmer, continue adding broth to rice, one ladle at a time, stirring and allowing each addition of stock to absorb fully before adding more stock.
- When rice is nearly done, add squash with the last ladle of broth. Continue cooking until broth is absorbed and rice and squash are done to taste. Stir in sausage and allow to heat through. Stir in grated cheese, reserving some to pass at the table if desired.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with toasted pine nuts. Pass additional grated cheese if desired.
- For the summertime version:
Substitute zucchini or other summer squash, chopped, and oven roasted until just tender, about 15 minutes, for the pumpkin.
Substitute Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat for the Harvest Pumpkin Ale.
Substitute Italian chicken sausage for the bratwurst.
Follow the recipe as above.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.