Mango and Cayenne Paletas
Paletas are refreshing Latin American ice pops that contain fruit and sometimes cream. These dairy-free paletas celebrate the sweetness of fresh mangoes, with a little kick of cayenne added in.
Special equipment: You will need freezer pop molds for this recipe. We used these molds, but any kind will work. If yours don’t come with sticks that attach securely, you can buy wooden sticks and insert them 1 hour into the freezing time.
This recipe was featured as part of our 7 Ice Pops That Break the Mold.
- 4 medium, ripe mangoes (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes)
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 1Peel and cut 1 mango into medium dice; set aside. Peel and cut the remaining 3 mangoes into large chunks and place in a blender.
- 2Add the measured sugar, lime juice, cayenne, and salt to the blender and process until smooth and the sugar has dissolved. Taste and blend in additional cayenne 1 pinch at a time, and additional sugar 1 teaspoon at a time, as needed.
- 3Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the diced mango. Divide the mixture among the pop molds and freeze until solid, at least 6 hours.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved