Toasted Sesame Seed and Honey Gelato Recipe
In this creamy gelato, savory sesame plays well with sweet honey for an exotic dessert.
Game plan: Be sure to get the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer and fully frozen before starting this recipe.
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- Place 2 1/4 cups of the milk, the cream, honey, corn syrup, sesame oil, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture begins to steam but does not come to a boil, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 cup milk, cornstarch, and dry milk in a small bowl and whisk until smooth and the dry ingredients have dissolved.
- When the mixture in the saucepan is ready, whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Reduce the heat to medium low and bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a spoon or rubber spatula until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through the strainer into the bowl and discard the contents of the strainer. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, place the sesame seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat and toast, shaking the pan occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- Freeze the gelato base in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. While the gelato is still in the bowl of the ice cream maker, fold in the reserved sesame seeds with a rubber spatula. Serve immediately for a soft gelato, or transfer the mixture to an airtight container and freeze until solid. Allow the gelato to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving if frozen solid.