Maque Choux Recipe
Maque choux (pronounced “mock shoe”) is a classic Cajun dish of stewed corn and vegetables. This fresh and colorful version has bacon and cream, plus okra that is fried until crispy to combat any slime issues. So slap on a cheesy Cajun accent and serve up this dish alongside some Chile-Roasted Shrimp or Wild Rice Jambalaya.
What to buy: Frozen corn can be substituted for fresh; just thaw before using.
This recipe was featured as part of our Summer Ingredients photo gallery.
- 4 ounces bacon, medium dice (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound fresh okra, ends and stems removed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick coins
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 5 medium ears)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- Place the bacon in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Add the vegetable oil to the fat in the pan and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering and just starting to smoke. Add the okra and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown around the edges, about 5 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the okra to the plate with the bacon; set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeño, thyme, and cayenne to the remaining oil and fat in the pan, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is crisp-tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the cream, stir to combine, and cook until the cream is almost completely absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the scallions and the reserved bacon and okra. Stir to combine, taste and season with salt as needed, and serve immediately.