Vegetarian Delight Fried Rice Recipe
Fried rice normally has Chinese sausages as part of the ingredients. This recipe is just as tasty with just vegetables, and I love it because I can put in lots of veggies into it and my I-don’t-want-these-green-stuffs member of the family has no objection. The keys to making this tasty dish: cook rice the night before, dice everything, make sure the skillet or wok is hot, and stir-fry each vegetable by itself first then stir-fry rice by itself before putting everything together. It takes a little longer but the result is worth it.
- 2/3 cup, washed, diced red bell peppers into small bits
- 2/3 cup, washed, diced carrots into small bits
- 2/3 cup, washed, diced broccoli, small bits
- 2/3 cup, peeled, rinsed, diced red onions, small bits
- 1 cup of diced button mushrooms, small bits
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely diced
- 5 cups cooked rice (refrigerate overnight so it is less starchy and bring it to room temperature before cooking so you can keep the wok/skillet hot and ready for stir-frying).
- For seasoning, please read the whole recipe before cooking because each vegetable is seasoned at each stir-fry. salt soy sauce cooking oil
- Heat the skillet or wok over a medium-high heat. Pour in 2 teaspoons of cooking oil, put in the red onions, and stir-fry for 1 minutes then reduce to medium heat and cook until they become slightly translucent and you can smell the fragrance. Season with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir-fry for another 30 seconds. Transfer it to a bowl. Set it aside.
- Using the same skillet/wok (without washing), again heat it to medium-high heat. Pour in 2 teaspoons of cooking oil, put in diced broccoli. Stir-fry for 4 minutes (reduce heat if it is too hot). Season with some salt to desired taste. Transfer it to same bowl as onion. Set it aside. Do the same for carrots, then bell peppers. Again without washing the skillet/wok, move onto the mushrooms.
- For the button mushrooms, make sure the skillet/wok is hot. Pour in 1 to 1 1/2tablespoons of cooking oil and add the mushrooms (mushrooms are like sponge and they will absorb all the oil very quickly. You can add some more oil while cooking, if desired) and stir-fry for 1minute. Season with couple pinches of salt. Stir-fry for another 15 seconds. If mushrooms cooks too long, they will “weep” (get liquid y). Transfer to the same bowl above. Set aside.
- For the rice, (again without washing the skillet/wok) heat the skillet to a medium-high heat, pour in 2 to tablespoons cooking oil, add the garlic. Give it a quick stir. Add the rice, quickly stir it about for 4 minutes (until rice is warm-hot to touch. Be careful not to burn yourself), and season with salt to desired taste and then 2 teaspoons of soy sauce. Stir-fry for another minute. Now add in all the vegetables. Mixed in to the rice throughly and stir-fry for another minute. Transfer to serving bowl.
- *Note: Since each vegetable is seasoned with salt at each individual stir-fry, you will need to be careful otherwise the fried rice will be too salty.
- If you want to add in Chinese sausages (you can find them at Asian markets, and even at some Costco locations), rinse 3 sausages, diced into small bits, stir-fried in a skillet/wok over a medium fire until they start to sizzle or look crunchy. Transfer to a bowl, set aside, add them to fried rice along with the vegetables. If you cannot find Chinese sausages, hot dogs work too.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.