Best Banana Bread
This bread has been in my family for over 50 years and I always get rave reviews when I make it. Wrapping it in plastic wrap when it’s still warm will keep it nice and moist (even when frozen and thawed). The butter, sour milk, and ripe bananas are essential to the moistness and give it a nice dark color. My neighbors and kids like it when I add the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sour milk (see below)
- 1 tablespoon Baking Soda, added to sour milk
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or 1 teaspoon concentrate)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Optional - Chocolate or butterscotch chips, walnuts, or pecans (I use a combination of chocolate chip and walnuts)
- 1In electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar and butter until fluffy.
- 2Add baking soda to sour milk and stir well (*If you don’t have sour milk, add a little white vinegar to the milk). Add mixture to batter along with bananas, vanilla lemon juice and salt and mix will. Add flour and beat until smooth. Remove bowl from mixer. Optional–At this time you may stir in the chips or nuts, if you prefer. Sprinkle the chips with flour to keep them from floating to the bottom.
- 3Bake in large greased loaf pan for 1 hour at 350 degrees, or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Remove from oven unto wire rack immediately. Wrap in plastic wrap when still warm to keep moist.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved