Ruby Sangría Recipe
Adapted from "Porch Parties" by Denise Gee
10 mins, plus chilling time
A simple sangría is the quintessential sipper for an outdoor summer gathering. This recipe comes together in minutes and then chills for several hours until the flavors meld, making it the perfect make-ahead party cocktail.
This recipe was featured as part of our Father’s Day Grilled Paella Feast.
For the sangría:
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle red wine, chilled
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups orange wedges (from 1 large orange)
- 2 cups red apple wedges (from 1 large apple)
- 2 cups green apple wedges (from 1 large apple)
- 2 cups seedless green grapes
For the fruit kebab garnish (optional):
- 1 medium orange, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red apple, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green apple, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups seedless green grapes
- 24 (6-inch) skewers
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle sparkling water, chilled
For the sangría:
- Combine the wine, brandy, orange liqueur, orange juice, and sugar in a large 4-quart container or punch bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add all of the fruit and stir to combine. Refrigerate until chilled and the flavors have melded, about 2 to 3 hours.
For the fruit kebab garnish:
- Thread the fruit onto the skewers, alternating oranges, apples, and grapes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the sangría is ready, add the sparkling water and gently stir to combine. Fill cocktail or wineglasses with ice, pour in the sangría, and garnish with the fresh fruit kebabs, if desired.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved