Sardine, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Bacon Club Sandwich Recipe
Humble canned sardines are cheap, widely available, and also incredibly tasty. Try this surprisingly balanced spin on a classic club sandwich, which combines the big flavors of sardines, bacon, arugula, and sun-dried tomato butter stacked tall on three pieces of toasty bread.
- 14 sun-dried tomato slices packed in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), at room temperature
- 6 dashes Tabasco Sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices thin white sandwich bread, toasted
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2 cups arugula (about 1 1/2 ounces), washed and dried
- 2 (4-ounce) cans sardines packed in olive oil, drained
- Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, butter, and Tabasco in a medium bowl and mix into a uniform paste. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Place 8 slices of the toasted bread on a work surface. Spread an even amount of the tomato butter on each slice, using it all up. Set the remaining 4 unbuttered bread slices aside.
- Place 2 pieces of bacon each on the buttered sides of 4 of the bread slices. Top the bacon with 1/4 cup of the arugula per sandwich. Top the arugula with a slice of the unbuttered bread. Place a quarter of the sardines on top of each unbuttered piece of bread and season with pepper. Top the sardines with another 1/4 cup of the arugula per sandwich, and finish with a slice of buttered bread, buttered-side down. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.