Strawberry Lemonade muffins Recipe
This is a recipe I created last summer after a BBQ with friends that left me with 6 unused cans of frozen lemonade. It makes a light muffin with a surprise in the middle! The jam is especially good with fresh picked strawberries.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen lemonade, thawed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- FOR THE JAM: In a wide bowl, crush strawberries in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berry. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Stir often until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C). Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace. Refrigerate until cool. (can be made in advance)
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup lemonade, egg, milk and oil.
- Add to dry mix, stirring until just moistened. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Spoon 1 tbsp muffin mix into each muffin cup. Add 1 tsp strawberry jam into the centre of each cup. Cover with remaining muffin mix.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 15-20 minutes
- While muffins are still warm, brush with remaining lemonade and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.