This recipe combines the charms of that traditional Southern favorite, the Hummingbird Cake, with the health benefits of oatmeal, whole wheat, and virgin coconut oil. These muffins do not require an electric mixer.
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-muffin tin with paper liners.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, soak the oatmeal in the buttermilk/juice for at least 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a smaller bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, breaking up any lumps. Set aside.
- 4Whisk the egg, vanilla, and slightly cooled melted oil/butter into the soaked oatmeal until well-blended. Stir the mixed dry ingredients into the oatmeal mixture until blended, without any streaks of flour. Stir in the pineapple, nuts, coconut, and banana.
- 5Fill each paper liner to the top. Using a large (size 16) ice cream scoop makes this faster and neater. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cool in pan 20 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.