Sweet Potato Crisps
Barbecue-flavored chips can be disappointing, because they mask all of the natural flavors in a potato with a sweet, vaguely spicy coating. This recipe pairs the sweet potato’s natural sugars with smoked paprika to produce healthy, oven-baked, barbecuelike chips that are ready to be dunked in a creamy dip.
This recipe was featured as part of our Make Your Own Veggie Chips project.
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 8 ounces), scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Jalapeño-Cilantro Yogurt Spread for dipping (optional)
- 1Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Slice the sweet potato into very thin rounds (1/16 inch thick; use a mandoline if you have one) and place in a large bowl. Add the oil, paprika, and salt and toss with your hands until thoroughly coated.
- 3Place the slices in a single layer on 2 baking sheets—the rounds can be touching but should not overlap.
- 4Bake one sheet at a time until the edges of the chips curl up, the centers are just golden brown, and the tops are dry to the touch, about 12 minutes. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and let the chips cool until crisp, about 3 minutes. Using your hands, carefully transfer the chips to a serving dish. Repeat with the second sheet. Serve immediately with Jalapeño-Cilantro Yogurt Spread, if using.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved