Kale Chips Recipe
About 45 mins
Kale has a certain vegetal flavor that you either love or hate. No matter which camp you’re in, it’s hard to resist the deliciousness of these crispy chips, which are subtly spicy from togarashi powder. Warning: Once you start snacking, it’ll be hard to stop.
What to buy: Togarashi powder, a Japanese mixture of spices that always contains chiles, can be found in ethnic markets (it may also be labeled as shichimi togarashi). Or you could make your own.
It’s best to use dinosaur kale (also known as black kale, Lacinato, or cavolo nero) rather than curly kale because its broad, flat leaves crisp up more evenly.
Special equipment: You will need a pastry brush to make these chips.
This recipe was featured as part of our Make Your Own Veggie Chips project.
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon togarashi powder
- 1 pound dinosaur kale
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for coating the baking sheet
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Using a pastry brush, coat a baking sheet with a thin layer of olive oil; set aside.
- Combine the salt, sugar, and togarashi in a small bowl; set aside.
- Remove and discard the center ribs and stalks of the kale. Tear the leaves into rough 3-inch pieces. Wash the leaves and dry them thoroughly.
- Place half of the leaves in a large bowl, drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil, and toss with your hands until the leaves are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle with half of the togarashi mixture (about 3/4 teaspoon) and toss again with your hands until the leaves are thoroughly coated. Place the leaves in a single, even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the kale chips are crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, place the baking sheet on a wire rack, and let the chips cool for about 3 minutes. Using your hands, carefully transfer the chips to a serving dish. Repeat with the remaining kale, oil, and togarashi mixture. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved