Best Chicken Quesadilla
CHOW Food Team
A perfect chicken quesadilla reicpe is the staple on every Mexican restaurant menu, but they’re a snap to make yourself at home. Roast up your own chicken breast or make it even easier on yourself by using a prepared rotisserie chicken.
Game plan: These quesadillas can also be made on an outdoor grill. Just cook over high heat directly on the grates until the cheese is melted and the bottoms start to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
To see this recipe with illustrated steps, check out The Basics: How to Make Chicken Quesadillas.
This recipe was featured as part of our No-Fail Mexican Favorites for Cinco de Mayo.
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Guacamole, for serving (optional)
- Salsa, for serving (optional)
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- 1Combine the cheeses in a medium bowl.
- 2Heat a large frying pan over medium heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Place a tortilla in the pan and sprinkle with half of the chicken, half of the cilantro, and and half of the cheese mixture. Top with a second tortilla and cook until the underside of the bottom tortilla is golden brown in several spots and half of the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook until the underside of the second tortilla is crisp and golden brown in several spots and all of the cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- 3Slide the quesadilla from the pan onto a cutting board and cut into wedges. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make a second quesadilla. Serve topped with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream, if desired.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved