Crab Salad Omelet Recipe
Americans take their love of crab pretty seriously. Whether it’s Maryland blue, West Coast Dungeness, or Florida stone crab, we can all agree that crab salad in an omelet is ridiculously tasty. Complete this stellar breakfast with an appropriate morning cocktail.
Special equipment: You will need an 8-inch nonstick frying pan.
For the crab salad:
- 2/3 cup lump crabmeat, picked over for shells (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (from about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco (or make your own)
For the omelets:
- 6 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 1/4 medium avocado, cut into 4 slices lengthwise
- Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until combined; set aside.
For the omelets:
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until pale yellow and the egg yolks and whites are evenly combined. Set 2 serving plates aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in an 8-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add half of the egg mixture (about 3/4 cup) to the pan and stir constantly with a rubber spatula, moving the eggs around until they form small curds, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently shake the pan and use the spatula to spread the egg mixture evenly across the pan—the top of the eggs should have a creamy consistency. Spoon half of the crab salad down the middle third of the egg mixture and top with 2 of the avocado slices.
- Remove the pan from heat. Using the spatula, fold a third of the omelet over and onto itself, making sure to fold it over the filling. Gently push the folded side of the omelet toward the edge of the pan. Tilt the pan over one of the serving plates and roll the omelet onto the plate, seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining tablespoon of butter, eggs, crab salad, and avocado slices. Serve immediately.