Basic Dessert Tart Crust Recipe
Fill this basic dessert-tart crust with anything from chocolate ganache topped with whipped cream to lemon curd and meringue or pastry cream with fresh fruit. Jazz up the tart shell by adding the seeds from a vanilla bean, a tablespoon of citrus zest, or just follow the recipe for our Ricotta and Honey Tart or our Chocolate Ganache Tart with vodka-cherry sauce.
Special equipment: You will need a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom for this recipe.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Combine the butter, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and stir until evenly incorporated. Add the measured flour and stir until just combined and a soft dough forms.
- Sprinkle the dough over the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan (flour the cup occasionally to prevent sticking).
- Cover the tart shell with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Once chilled, prick it all over with a fork and bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before filling and removing from the pan.