Poached Chicken with Potatoes, Carrots, and Peas in Wine Sauce Recipe
This dish was inspired the Frango ao Vinho Branco my uncle Mateus recently made for a large family gathering. I wanted to try to make something as flavorful and tender but also a complete one-pot-meal. The process involves a short marinade in white wine and using that same wine to poach the chicken along with potatoes and carrots. Harvest peas are later added. The dish is finished by reducing the wine sauce and adding crème fraiche and a bit of butter to make it creamy and rich.
- 1 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups Vinho Verde (or other inexpensive, non-oaky white wine)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 cups harvest peas
- 1/4 cup of crème fraiche
- 4 cloves garlic whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon butter
- chives (or green onions)
- Marinate chicken breast halves in 2 cups wine for 10 -15 minutes.
- While chicken breast halves are marinating: peel and dice carrots and potatoes into small (pea sized) pieces. Peel garlic. Chop chives.
- Remove chicken breast halves from wine and set aside. Pour wine marinade and 1 cup chicken stock into 2-quart sauce pan. Add garlic, pepper corn, bay leaves, carrots, and potatoes. Season lightly with salt. Cook covered at medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- When vegetables are a bit more than par cooked, add chicken breasts. Make sure chicken is completely covered with liquid. Use a plate to weigh down chicken, if necessary. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Without removing lid, turn heat off let sit on stovetop for another 5 minutes, covered.
- Remove chicken breast from pan and place in covered dish so it can stay warm. Allow vegetables to cook longer on high heat if needed. Add the peas when carrots and potatoes are completely tender. Cover the vegetables and let cook 4 minutes or until peas are done.
- With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and place in covered serving dish with chicken. Discard bay leaves, garlic, and pepper corns. Keeping the wine sauce in the pan, return to the stove and heat on high uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in the crème fraiche and butter. Continue to reduce on high for another 5 minutes (or longer). The reduction should be the consistency of a thin cream soup. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over cooked vegetable and chicken. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.