Wild Rice Porridge with Cardamom, Pecan, and Pear Recipe
About 25 mins
If you keep a few cups of cooked wild rice in your refrigerator, this is a quick and satisfying breakfast alternative to oatmeal. Pear and cardamom are a classic flavor combo, but really, once you’ve mastered the basic formula here, this porridge is endlessly adaptable. Try swapping in apples, apricots, or blueberries for the pears; almonds for the pecans; maple syrup for the honey.
More wild rice recipes.
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey, plus more for serving
- Pinch fine salt
- 1/2 cup dried pear slices (apples, apricots, or any dried fruit can be used), medium dice
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan halves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the rice, cream, honey, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cream has reduced slightly and the mixture is hot, about 7 minutes.
- Add the pears (or other dried fruit), pecans, and cardamom, stir to combine, and cook until the pears have softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with the cinnamon, stir to combine, and spoon into bowls. For a little extra richness, drizzle another tablespoon of cream and a little honey on top.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved