Good Morning! Healthy Muffins w/a Surprise Recipe
Had a not so good recipe my friends at Chow helped me fix and I tell you, they are good muffins now! Moist, healthy, and a little sweet surprise in the middle.
- 3/4 C soft goat cheese or cream cheese
- 2 Tbs agave or honey
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla (divided)
- 1 C wheat, 1 C white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg white
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 1 C low-fat buttermilk
- 2/3 C olive oil
- 1/4 C orange juice
- 1 C chopped dried apricots or other dried fruit
- 2 Tbs wheat germ
- 2 Tbs milled flax
- Preheat to 425. Combine goat or cream cheese with the agave or honey and 1/4 tsp of vanilla. Set aside, this is a filling and should be thick.
- Mix all dry indgredient but the dried fruit.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add all other wet ingredients (but not the filling).
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the dried fruit of choice.
- Fill muffin tins 1/2 way. Make generous tsp balls of the filling and place 1 in the middle of each muffin. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake until edges start to brown and the tops spring back when gently pressed – 10 minutes in my oven on convection.
- Let cool 5 minutes in pan before turning out on a wire rack.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.