Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries Recipe
2 hrs, plus 1 hr cooling time
About 34 strawberries
These colorful chocolate-dipped strawberries brighten up any dessert spread. Plus, kids love them.
Game plan: You can dip strawberries in quickly melted chocolate, but there’s a chance that the chocolate will bloom (or separate), causing white streaks. To prevent this, we recommend tempering the chocolate. See our instructions for tempering here.
This dish was featured as part of our Valentine’s Day All-Star Recipes.
- 1 1/2 pounds bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 pints large whole strawberries, stems attached, washed and completely dried
- 1 1/2 pounds white chocolate, finely chopped, for making strawberry tuxedos (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper; set aside.
- Place the dark chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan containing an inch of barely simmering water. (But make sure the bowl does not touch the water.) Stir constantly until melted.
- Holding the strawberries by their stems, dip them one by one into the chocolate, letting any excess drip off and placing them on the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened, about 20 minutes.
- To make strawberry tuxedos: First melt the white chocolate (rather than the dark chocolate) as directed in step 2. Dip the strawberries in the white chocolate and place them on the lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened, about 30 minutes.
- Line a second baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Melt the dark chocolate in a separate bowl. Holding the white-chocolate-covered strawberries at a 45-degree angle, dip one side into the dark chocolate, then dip the opposite side, forming a “V” or heart-shaped jacket. Place the strawberries on the second baking sheet and refrigerate until the dark chocolate has hardened.
- When the strawberries are ready, transfer a small amount of the melted dark chocolate to a small resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. Remove the tuxedos from the fridge and pipe three chocolate buttons on the white “shirt” of the strawberries. Refrigerate again to harden.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved