Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon Recipe
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole green peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick), at room temperature
- 4 (6-ounce) filet mignon steaks (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place both peppercorns in a plastic zip-top bag and crack them on a work surface with a mallet until they’re broken into small pieces but not pulverized. Place them in a medium bowl, add the butter, and mix until combined.
- Season the steaks all over with salt. Divide the peppercorn butter among the filets and rub to evenly coat both sides.
- Heat the oil a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add the steaks and cook undisturbed to the desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board to rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.