Hearty Split Pea Soup Recipe
I developed this recipe on a cold, snowy evening. It is an easy vegetarian dish, but if you must have some meat, add a few strips of Canadian bacon right before you serve. It is still low-fat.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1 c. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 t. dried thyme (not ground)
- 4 c. water
- 32 oz. low salt vegetable stock
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse and pick through peas. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Sauté until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. (I like it to have a little color, but don’t burn it.)
- Add thyme and cook one minute more. Add peas, water and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover pot. Simmer soup for about 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- Puree 5 cups of the soup (in batches) in blender and return to pot OR keep it chunky for a heartier soup. Season with salt and pepper.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.