Slow Cooker 17 Bean & Barley Soup Recipe
An easy pot of thick & hearty veggie goodness that tastes even better days 2, 3, 4 . . . when re-heating, try adding a squeeze of lemon to brighten and change up the flavor. Or stir in a dollop of basil pesto for variety. Enjoy!
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced thinly
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch slices
- 7 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, halved and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bag mixed bean soup mix (usually marketed as 16-bean soup mix or Trader Joe's 17 Bean and Barley Soup mix), flavoring packet (if any) discarded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (26 oz.) box or can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) box or can of French onion soup
- 6 c. low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese to pass (optional)
- Rinse and pick over the beans. Combine all the ingredients except the cheese in a 6 qt. (or larger) slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired. Serve with Parmesan sprinkled on top.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.