Mexican Lasagna (gluten-free and vegetarian) Recipe
This is one of my husband’s favorite dishes. You can add a variety of vegetables to make it healthier. Also, it is easy to sub. low-fat cheese, because you won’t even notice the lack with all the other flavors going on.
- 1 Onion
- 1 Jalapeno (or your other favorite pepper)
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 Cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 9 6-inch Corn Tortillas
- 1/2 Cup Salsa
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1 16 oz can refried beans (I cook my own beans, then puree them with a bit of salt in the food processor, much healthier)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (your preference)
- Cilantro for Garnish
- 1. Slice onion, jalapeño and green pepper. Sauté in oil in large saucepan over medium heat until softened but still slightly crisp, 5-7 minutes. Add corn and heat through. Season with ground cumin and a pinch of salt. Remove from heat.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3. Using 8×10″ pan, cut 3 tortillas to cover bottom of pan. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray. In small bowl, combine salsa and refried beans. Spread beans over tortillas and top with half of the cheese.
- 4. Top with another layer of tortillas and green bean/onion mixture. Top with final layer of tortillas, and thinly sliced tomatoes. Cover with remaining cheese.
- 5. Bake, covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking another 10-15 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Serve topped with cilantro.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.