Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, peeled
- 7 ounces (scant 1 cup) whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Water as needed, for thinning the sauce
- Grate the cucumber on the large holes of a box grater. Run a knife over the grated cucumber until it’s fine in texture but not totally minced. Mound the cucumber in the center of a clean tea towel, then twist the towel to squeeze the moisture from the cucumber. Place the cucumber in a medium bowl.
- Add the yogurt, herbs, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin, season with salt and pepper, and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight to meld the flavors before serving. If the sauce is too thick, thin it out with a few teaspoons of water until it reaches the desired consistency.