Nutrient-Packed Vegan Chili Recipe
I just started cooking Vegan meals and I am also allergic to soy, so it is very hard for me to cook nutritious, Vegan meals that have enough protein, fiber and also taste great. I was in my kitchen one night and looked at the different ingredients I had in my cabinets and refrigerator and started throwing things together. All of a sudden, I had made this great tasting meal that actually filled me up and gave me so much energy. I love it. I hope everyone else does to.
- 1 Cup Quinoa (2 cups cooked)
- 1 head of red cabbage – chopped
- 3 zucchinis – sliced
- 1 small can of diced green chili peppers
- 1 cup dried red beans (2 ½ cups cooked)
- 1 bottle of organic tomato sauce
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Hot sauce – season to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper - season to taste
- Soak and cook the beans: Measure the amount of dried beans you’d like to cook. 1 cup of dried beans yields about 2 ½ cups cooked. Rinse beans in a colander and place in a container to soak. Cover the beans with water and soak at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. After soaking, drain and rinse beans and place in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until beans are soft when pierced with a fork (approximately 1 hour). Stir beans every few minutes and add more water as necessary. When beans are tender, remove from heat, rinse, and drain in a colander.
- Preparation: Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan or wok. When hot, cook the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add the cooked beans, sliced zucchini, and chopped cabbage. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced chili peppers (whole can with juice), tomato sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, pepper, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Mix in cooked Quinoa and serve hot. If your frying pan isn’t big enough to mix the Quinoa, use a large bowl.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.