This is an easy, vegan comfort food recipe your whole family will enjoy. I decided to add a few peas to my “Mac ’n Cheese” recipe today – but instead of using macaroni I decided to use orecchiette pasta because I love peas and orecchiette together. The way the bright green peas settle into little nooks and crannies – so delicious and elegant. Plus I love saying “orecchiette”.
Get all the flavor and coziness of real Mac ’n Cheese without all the unhealthy calories and fat. This Nutritional Yeast/Sweet Potato “cheeze” sauce is packed with cravable, creamy flavor.
- 1Place your sweet potato in the oven or microwave to cook through.
- 2Start a pot of salted water boiling on the stove. Add your pasta when boiling. Cook pasta for about 8-10 minutes–or until tender. In a large bowl combine: soy milk, mustard, spices, nutritional yeast, maple, salt, vinegar and oil. Stir well until dry ingredients blend into liquid…
- 3Check on your pasta and drain when ready. Pour drained pasta into another large bowl. I like to toss the freshly drained pasta with a drizzle of EVOO and a dash of nutritional yeast flakes. (reserve 3 Tbsp pasta water, optional)
- 4Grab your sweet potato and remove skin. Add it to the sauce. You can now a) mash by hand very well. Or b) Add the potato and sauce to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the blended sauce to the pasta and toss well.
- 5Heat up your frozen peas in the microwave or stove top. I like to toss mine with a tiny dollop of vegan butter and plentiful black pepper.
- 6Plate you pasta and pour about 3/4 cup of peas over each plate of pasta. Sprinkle some cayenne spice on top for a nice burst of heated flavor. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or basil.
- 7Serve! Leftovers are delicious as well…
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.