For those of you who are not familiar with fruit mince pies, they are part of the Christmas tradition in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. In the spirit of “quick and easy” I have blended together a fruit mixture that is ready in five minutes. I kept the blend very subtle, but feel free to add the spice quantities that tickle your fancy and make your taste buds dance. I also made mini mince pies using shallow half mini-muffin trays. These tiny pies can be devoured in two bites of Heaven. They are not too rich, not too sweet; but juuuuust right. These allergy-friendly (gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free) vegan mince pies are quick and easy, and absolutely delicious – just the perfect treat to end 2010 with.
- 1To make the pastry: Preheat oven to 180 C.
- 2Grease mini half muffin tins and line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- 3Sift together flours, xanthan and salt in to a mixing bowl.
- 4In your food processor cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth and well combined.
- 5Gradually add in the dry ingredients and lemon zest until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- 6Add in a tablespoon of water at a time–just enough to create a soft workable dough.
- 7Knead this dough with a bit of rice flour until workable.
- 8Wrap the ball of dough in some plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about half an hour.
- 9To make the filling:
- 10Place all ingredients in the food processor with the chopping blade and puree until smooth.
- 11Adjust spices and sweetener to taste and then allow to sit.
- 12Makes 2 cups
- 13To assemble:
- 14Roll out the dough between two pieces of baking paper.
- 15Cut bottom cases out with a cookie cutter and place those shells in the mini muffin holes.
- 16Then cut the top stars with a tiny star cutter and place those on the baking tray.
- 17Bake the cases in the oven for about 10 minutes or until just browned.
- 18The stars will only take about 5 minutes
- 19Fill each case with filling and then top with a star.
- 20Bake for another 5 minutes and then allow to cool.
- 21Serve plain or dust with icing sugar to serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.