Gluten-Free Blender Pecan Pie Recipe
This dish is literally child’s play – homage to the basics: simple, fun, healthy and happy. It really is the embodiment of blend and live. Just throw everything in your blender and puree until smooth. It takes less than 5 minutes. How easy is that? More importantly, it is absolutely delicious; and dare I say it, downright impressive. This pie has been a staple treat in my family for about 30 years. Mum found this recipe in an old Southern cookbook at a second hand book store on a trip to New Orleans back in the 80’s and we have been chowing down with joy ever since! The cookbook is long gone, but the memories still remain. Over the years mum and I have experimented and adapted this recipe using natural sweeteners, dairy-free milks and gluten-free flours. For those of you not on a restricted diet, feel free to use regular cow’s milk, wheat flour and sugar. However, I can honestly say that it tastes better this way, and we all know it is more healthy. Just a few tips – this recipe responds better with creamy milks like soy and hemp milk, rather than rice and oat milk; and if you use too much liquid sweetener it can take a long time to set. To rectify this, add in a little bit more flour. Stick closely to the ratios and you will be good to go. Please note that I have made this pie dairy-free used grapeseed oil instead of butter, but the pie will only take 1 hour to set, and will have a much milder flavor. You will need to add more sweeteners. Either way – this pie is scrumptious!
- 1 cup raw pecans
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- 4 organic eggs
- 2 cups hemp milk or soy milk
- ½ cup organic melted butter (1 stick), vegan margarine, or grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup of maple syrup / 1 cup if using grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract / 2 tsp if using grapeseed oil
- Throw all your ingredients in the blender and puree until smooth.
- You might have to stop and scrape the sides of your blender to make sure your batter is mixed through. If your blender will not hold the entire mixture, just puree in batches and then stir. It doesn’t matter what kind of blender you use. This recipe is fool proof. You can’t fail.
- Pour into a well greased 9 inch/23cm pie dish and bake at 150 C / 300 F for about an hour or until set.
- It can take up to an hour and a half to set.
- Jazz up this simple pie with a drizzle of maple syrup, a dollop of vegan cream or ice-cream and top with some crushed pecans or shaved dark chocolate.
- Whether making this for a guilt free family sweet treat, whipping it up for that surprise dinner guest that someone brings home, or preparing it for that special dinner party – this recipe is a winner. Your snout will returning to this pecan filled trough again and again and again, and you too, will not be leaving any leftovers!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.