Vegan Chocolate Chili Pepper Mousse Recipe
This vegan chocolate mousse is a beacon of hope for even the most self respecting 1000 calorie mousse devotee. Everything comes to the party to create the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. The tofu gives you some protein, and that lovely creamy texture that gets better when set. The cocoa adds that vital decadence that is a prerequisite in any great chocolate mousse, and the nut butter and vanilla give it an added dimension that stops it from being flat. Just a touch of agave to sweeten the deal, and some chili for a final kick. I am not really a peanut butter fan for many reasons and do not use it very often. But I can’t deny the flavor it brings to this. I prefer to use raw almond butter as a healthier option. Hazelnut butter works well too. It is all a matter or personal preference. You can also make this mousse without the chili. It still tastes wonderful, but I find that the heat lifts the heaviness of the cocoa and just gives the whole taste sensation an extra burst. I have put ¼ tsp as a guide, but you can use less for a more subtle taste. Serve this with some raspberries, vegan cream, and nuts to make this experience complete. It just doesn’t get any easier and more rewarding than this recipe – throw, blend, chill, gobble, and celebrate.
- 1 packet (300gm/12oz) of organic firm silken tofu
- 1/3 cup Green and Black’s Organic Fairtrade Cocoa
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup agave nectar depending on your taste
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp raw peanut butter or raw almond butter
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- Throw all ingredients in your blender and puree until smooth and well combined.
- You might have to stop and scrape the sides of your blender to make sure it is all mixed through.
- Spoon mixture into martini glasses or serving bowls, and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours to yield the best results. The mixture will thicken slightly and the flavor of the chili will strengthen. However, I have scoffed this after half an hour and been more than satisfied.
- Like I always say, people take the first bite with their eyes. I like to serve this in gorgeous clear shallow cocktail glasses to elevate this into my “simple but special” file.
- **Please note – For those of you with severe wheat, gluten, and dairy allergies – The Green and Black’s cocoa (and a lot of others) is produced in a factory that also works with wheat, milk, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios and brazil nuts. It is not in contact with peanuts.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.