Basic Raw Vegan Mayonnaise
by The Blender Girl
There are a ton of good vegan mayonnaise recipes out there. But I keep coming back to this recipe I adapted from a vegan camp I went to about ten years ago. It is mild, creamy, and delicious. As usual, I have listed quantities as a guide only. I tend to add in the lemon juice, vinegar and salt at the end, and keep tasting in between each addition. Every batch yields a mayo of a slightly different personality, depending on my mood, and what I am going to use it for. But the quantities I have provided will keep you on the right track. Follow them, and you will get a mayo that you can play with.
- 1 cup organic raw cashews soaked for 2 hours
- 1/4 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup raw cauliflower
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice or more to taste
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Tiny 1/2 pinch of Celtic sea salt or more to taste
- 1Put the cashews and cauliflower in the blender, and add the water until combined well.
- 2Slowly add the oil in one steady stream, and process until thick and creamy.
- 3Place the rest of the ingredients into the blender to taste, and process until smooth.
- 4Add in some more salt, mustard or lemon juice to taste until you create your perfect blend.
- 5**Please note – you will need a high speed blender such as a VitaMix or BlendTec, in order to achieve a really creamy consistency.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved