Pickled lemon peels Recipe
An easy way to keep the acid ingredient needed for so many dishes.
- Large, green, healthy and soft-skinned lemons,
- Wash the lemons and peel the rinds being very careful to cut only the outer skin, the green part. The white is very bitter and will spoil the preparation.
- The peelings will come out in strips, then cut these strips about half inch long.
- Put the strips in a jar, squeeze the juice from the peeled lemons and add enough juice to cover the peels completely. Add 3 teaspoons of salt to each jar and close the jars tightly.
- Keep the jar(s) in a cool place for two or three days adding more lemon juice as the peels absorb the juice.
- Keep in the refrigerator and use for salads, meats, sandwiches or in whichever recipe that requires lemon and salt. They will last for several months unspoiled.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.