Potato Latkes with Spicy Mayonnaise and Smoked Salmon Recipe
A great recipe from www.GourmetKosherCooking.com for Hannukah, that fuses traditional Jewish cooking with Asian flair. Also a bit of a healthy twist on the potato latke.
- 10 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks Oil for frying
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sliced smoked salmon
- Capers for garnish
- Tofutti sour cream or regular sour cream
- Oil for frying
- Spicy Mayonnaise: 3/4 cup mayonnaise 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend or ground red pepper 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional, this adds a lot of heat to the mayonnaise)
- In a food processor, using the grater blade, grate the potatoes and onions. Pour into a strainer and strain about the extra liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix the potato-onion mixture with the eggs, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. When oil is hot, place small spoonfuls (about 2 tablespoons each) of the potato mixture in the pan and flatten slightly. Cook until crispy (3 to 5 minutes per side) and drain on paper towels. Can be frozen.
- To Assemble Latkes:
Make latkes. Top with spicy mayonnaise and a slice of smoked salmon. Garnish with capers or tofutti or regular sour cream.
- Spicy Mayonnaise:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Cover and chill.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.