Basic Sautéed Green Beans
CHOW Food Team
- 2 pounds green beans
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- 1Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water. Remove the stems from the green beans. Peel, halve, and thinly slice the onion.
- 2Place the beans in the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place in the ice water bath until cooled. Drain and set aside.
- 3Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the sliced onion and cook until caramelized and golden, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Add the reserved green beans, vinegar, and sugar. Cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley, taste, and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved