Mashed potatoes may be simple, but where would turkey and gravy or braised meats be without them?
This recipe was featured as part of our Thanksgiving for Beginners menu.
- 1Wash and peel the potatoes, then cut them into large chunks and place in a large pot.
- 2Cover the potatoes with cold water by 1 to 2 inches and add a generous amount of salt. (You want the water to taste like the ocean.) Place the pot on the stove over high heat.
- 3Once the water boils, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes can easily be pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes.
- 4Drain in a colander and let the potatoes rest in the sink while you prepare the butter and cream.
- 5Combine the butter and cream in the pot you cooked the potatoes in. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the butter has melted and the cream is hot.
- 6Turn off the heat and add the drained potatoes. Using a potato masher, mash until the potatoes are fluffy and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.