Take No Prisoners Hot Sauce Recipe
About 35 mins
1 1/2 cups or 2 (6-ounce) bottles
When it comes to hot sauce, our photographer, Chris Rochelle, likes it fiery. For the faint of heart, we suggest using his sauce as a light seasoning in things like chili, tacos, eggs, hummus, and curry. A little goes a long way.
This recipe was featured as part of our DIY Holiday Gifts Advent Calendar.
- 2 medium carrots (about 6 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 16 serrano peppers (about 4 ounces), stems removed
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 5 to 6 limes)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and boil until easily pierced with a fork, about 12 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the carrots and remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a glass container, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days to allow the flavors to meld.
- Thoroughly clean and dry 2 (6-ounce) glass bottles. Transfer the hot sauce through a funnel into the bottles and seal. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved