S'more Bars Recipe
35 mins, plus cooling time
About 40 pieces
No one can resist the classic combination of graham crackers, oozy toasted marshmallows, and melted chocolate, especially when it’s all held together with caramel. These bars are delicious at room temperature, or get them a little melty by putting them on some foil on a hot grill.
This recipe was featured as part of our Tailgating photo gallery.
- 16 (4-3/4-by-2-1/2-inch) whole graham crackers
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoons fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a rimmed baking sheet with 2 overlapping pieces of aluminum foil so the entire sheet and all 4 edges are covered. Arrange the graham crackers tightly together in a single layer on the baking sheet, using broken-up pieces to fill any empty spaces; set aside.
- Place butter, brown sugar, and salt in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and bring to a full boil, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula to dissolve the sugar, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, slowly add vanilla (the mixture may bubble up), and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over graham crackers and spread evenly using the rubber spatula. Evenly sprinkle marshmallows in a single layer over top. Bake until marshmallows are puffed and just starting to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Evenly sprinkle chocolate chips over the marshmallows and let sit until the chips are softened, about 5 minutes. Lightly drag a toothpick or skewer over the surface and through the softened chocolate chips to create a marbled pattern. Evenly sprinkle with nuts, if using. Let cool until warm, about 20 minutes, then refrigerate or freeze until the chocolate has set, about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the s’more slab from the baking sheet using the foil to lift it in one piece. Transfer to a cutting board. Remove and discard the foil. Using a sharp knife, cut the slab into 2-inch squares. Store between layers of waxed paper in a container with a tightfitting lid; the bars will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved