Italian Eggplant meatballs Recipe
Read More: http://croce-delizia.blogspot.com/2010/09/polpette-di-melanzane.html
- 2 large eggplants (about 650 grams) peeled and cut
- 50 grams of stale italian bread
- 1 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons of pecorino cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 bunch italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 80 grams of Caciocavallo (stringy italian semisoft cheese
- extra virgin oil, for frying
- Wash, peel ( I have not done) and cube eggplant.
In a large pot, bring the water to a full boil and add salt and the eggplant cubes. Cook for about 4 minutes ( no more) with the water still at full boil.
- Drain the eggplant using a fine mesh colander. Discard the liquid and let cool. Place all the eggplant pulp in a cheese-cloth and remove as much excess water as possible. Place in a large bowl. Add grated stale Italian bread, 1 egg, 3 tablespoons pecorino-romano, garlic and parsley.
Mix everything together with a wooden spoon at first.
- Form eggplant mixture into little balls about the size of a golf ball. Poke hole in center. Fill with a cube of provolone (stringy Italian semi-soft cheese). Press mixture over the filling.
- Roll the ball lightly in the bread crumbs. Place into the hot (170° C) oil and fry (in a deep oil) until brown on all sides and eggplant is cooked all the way through. Place on paper towels to drain. Serve with (spicy) tomato sauce on the side for dipping.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.