The nutmeg and mace in these muffins along with the cinnamon-sugar topping give these muffins the flavor of cake doughnuts.
- 1Preheat oven to 375-F. Place oven rack in lower middle position.
- 2Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and mace in medium bowl; set aside.
- 3Using an electric mixer set on medium high speed, beat 10-tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating after each is added. Add and beat in half of the dry ingredients. Then beat in 1/3 of the yogurt. Beat in the remainder of the dry ingredients in two batches alternating with the yogurt until they all have been added. Add and Beat in vanilla extract.
- 4Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by spraying with vegetable spray or coating with butter. Use a large disher or an ice cream scoop to evenly divide the batter among the 12 cups. Fill each muffin cup to the top and level off the batter. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in tin on a wire cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Remove from muffin tin.
- 5Combine 4 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon in a
small bowl; mix well and set aside.
- 6Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Use a pastry brush to paint the top of each muffin with the melted butter, then sprinkle each muffin with a teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar. Or simply dip the tops of muffins into the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon-sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.