Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars Recipe
I love making these bars, they are so tasty and especially good for picnics and potlucks because they travel very well. I make a lot of cookies and bars for bake sales in our community and they are always a big hit. I have had many requests for the recipe, they are a real treat.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup ground salted peanuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and sugar. Add egg yolks; mix well. Combine the water and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water mixture. Mix well. Spread into a greased 15-in. × 10-in. × 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over chocolate chips. Top with peanuts. Bake at 350 F. for 30-35 minutes. Yield: about 3 dozen.
- See more recipes at: www.havefunbaking.com
And also see: www.lovetobakeandcook.blogspot.com
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.