Basic Ranch Dressing Recipe
Ranch salad dressing has gone astray from its original tangy buttermilk-herb recipe first created for guests at a real place called the Hidden Valley Ranch near Santa Barbara, California. Hidden Valley sold out for the big bucks, turning its recipe into a bottled, mass-produced, sludgy mess that Americans love. But just because lots of people douse the white goop on everything from pizza to french fries is no reason you should. Throw away your preservative-laden bottled dressing and start shaking up your own.
To see this recipe with illustrated steps, check out The Basics: How to Make Ranch Dressing.
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed