Shaved Celery, Celery Root, and Radish Salad Recipe
This crisp, fresh salad has thinly sliced vegetables that are quickly tossed in a vinaigrette. Consider using other vegetables: peeled artichoke, jicama, fennel, or cucumber.
Game plan: This salad benefits from sitting out for a few minutes, making it perfect for a tailgate or picnic.
This recipe was featured as part of our story on How to Troubleshoot Your Salad.
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, minced, and mashed into a paste with the side of a knife (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 4 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 1/2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 6 inner, lighter-green celery stalks
- 1 small celery root, also known as celeriac, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch radishes, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons celery leaves (from within the celery bunch), coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 (3-ounce) chunk Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Place the anchovy paste, shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, and pepper in a small, nonreactive bowl, whisk to combine, and let sit for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, very thinly slice the celery stalks, celery root, and radishes and place in a large bowl.
- When the anchovy mixture is ready, slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking continuously, until all of the oil is incorporated. Season with salt and additional pepper as needed.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Transfer the salad to a large serving plate and arrange in an even layer. Sprinkle with the capers, celery leaves (if using), parsley leaves, and Parmesan and serve.