CHOW's Green Goddess Dressing
Green goddess dressing was created in the early 1920s at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco for an event honoring actor George Arliss, who starred in the hit play The Green Goddess. With loads of grassy fresh herbs and a tang from the sour cream and lemon juice, this creamy dressing is delicious over butter lettuces, folded into chicken salad, served as a dip, or drizzled on fish. Unlike modern versions, the traditional dressing does not contain avocado.
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula as needed. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 1 week.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved