Chocolate Cookie Pie Crust Recipe
Graham cracker pie crusts are fine, but for chocolate-lovers like myself, this chocolate cookie version is extra-fine. It works beautifully as the vessel for an Espresso Mud Pie, a simple chocolate mousse filling, or a cheesecake.
What to buy: The best cookie choice for this crust is Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers. In a pinch you can use Oreo cookies, but scrape out the creme filling first.
- 30 chocolate cookie wafers, such as Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Place cookies in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and process until the pieces are about the size of peas. Stop the motor, add the melted butter, and continue to process until the crumbs are fine, about the size of coarsely ground coffee (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). Alternatively, place the cookies in a resealable plastic bag, press out the air, and seal. Using a rolling pin, smash into fine crumbs until uniform. Transfer to a medium bowl, add melted butter, and mix until evenly combined.
- Pour crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and, using the bottom of a cup or your fingers, press firmly and evenly into the bottom and up the sides. Bake until fragrant, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before filling.